Friday, April 18, 2014

A student goes to Northwest France (1)

Here are excerpts from the first two entries of Davi's journal.  I hope he returns to writing and sharing his perspective.



First Day

My plane started to approach Paris-Orly airport.I could see the eiffel tower and i remember seeing a picture of it in a textbook when i was in school. It was truly remarkable that i could see it when i was flying in. I met this sweet French lady on the plane ,and i asked her if she could speak English. She didn’t speak English but we still could communicate. Repetitively talking and hand signs were helpful. Irina was her name and she gave me directions on how to get to the train station ,so that i could reach my destination.
I stepped out of Orly Airport into the cold  chilled environment. A man called Joana, who had a Honda 1800cc Motorbike taxi, asked me if i would like a ride. He managed to strap all my luggage on the back of the bike. We weaved in and out of traffic and it seemed to me that their was no traffic laws. I was intrigued with the ancient architecture that still stands today, I was in total amazement. We finally made it to the train station. I went in and purchased my train ticket to St.Malo, indeed the whole process was easier than i expected . It felt as if I had done it before. I walked out of the station and into the busy city and crossed the street to the Hotel De Paris. Rest at last!

Second Day

I woke up in my hotel room in complete shock, thinking i missed the train to St.Malo. I jumped out of bed and quickly threw on as many layers of clothes to stay warm. I rushed out of my room and ran down the stairs dragging my luggage with me. Not to mention i was staying on the fourth floor. I stormed into the lobby and asked the man who was working what time it was and he pointed to the digital clock. It was 6:00am, my train departure was at 7:36. I was an hour and thirty six minutes early which was a sigh of relief. I walked across the street into Mont Parnasse station. Their was this colorful pavilion that caught my attention. The place called Zuma which attracted me with their colorful signs and huge exquisite display of fresh fruits. I ordered the Tahiti spice, which had mango,passion fruit, banana,orange,and ginger . Before i could even taste this fabulous drink that was made for me , the vendor couldn’t take Dollar bills and i didn’t have any Euro. This english woman behind me in line pointed me in the direction of an ATM. I reached the machine and nothing happened. I kept on trying and nothing! This beautiful girl walked up her name was Sophie and i asked her i she speaks English and she did. I asked,”Can you help me, I need to take out money out of here." She started to laugh, she said “no this is to buy a train ticket, come with me”. Around the corner there was an ATM and she helped me with my transaction. I said Thank you! God Bless you. I was determined to get this fruit drink and i did! In return it was the sweetest spiciest fruit juice I’ve ever tasted,I quickly downed it. I got into the train and found my seat. The train ride took about  two and a half hours. The train ride was unreal, vast green farm lands everywhere. It was beautiful. I arrived to St.Malo walk out of the station, and met William Sutherland.


COMMENTS From the teacher...
So, what has happened since then?   I bet it is hard to recall everything because the days run together.


I have found it best to write at the same time each day, either in the morning (and get up before other people) or before I go to bed.  OR when my energy is going well...


No comments:

Post a Comment