Saturday, April 19, 2014

Journal 17 April 2014 The words of Zig Ziglar could inspire Melvin to become the helpful, thoughtful person that his mother, aunt and grandmother sees inside him

Here's how I started my day.   I saw a SKYPE post by Davit...
The fellow from Armenia who wants to practice English... so I wrote to Melvin, the fellow who is studying to pass his GED (but he is currently learning how to find "his fire" and "initiative" by working with my friend Will at ELSLeaders.com)...


Melvin
People in the USA have many opportunities.

One of the opportunities is that we have the native accent that billions of people want.

The young student in Armenia, Davit, wants to practice English so that he can become a teacher of English in  his village.  He plans to return from university and help others expand their world.

I hope you will write to him at least once a week, perhaps even include him in your list of people to whom you send your journal entries.

We are each given many opportunities to serve other people.  Perhaps it is especially hard to see how taking time to help someone will ever make your life better.   I didn’t serve others when I was in my 20s.  It was only when I became a teacher that I learned to find the “win win” …. 

I heard the teachings of Zig Ziglar.

When I look over my life so far, I recall the words of Zig Ziglar blaring through a car's stereo system:   "You gotta have goals" and "Everyone is a sales person.  Columbus was a salesman.  It's an admirable profession.  Sales is what everyone does."

Thirty years later, Dan Pink came up with To Sell is Human.  
Here are some quotes that are attributed to Zig Ziglar





another version:












To get up by 6:30 am every day means we go to bed before 11 pm
(Very little game playing)

Serving others in the day will show our commitment to making the world a better place.

Your videos and photos will be exhibited by dozens of ways, seen by hundreds and thousands of people.   Wes Green just needs something.


To follow through, we have to have the discipline to go to bed before 11 pm.   














COMMENT:  You have an accent that is native to the USA.  You speak like someone who understands English.  You can help billions of people by putting videos on the web that include you reading from the newspaper.   

Tell others about your experience in daily life, especially with things that they can see (Speak naturally, the way you would if you were talking with a friend)   … Just make sure you show what you are talking about…  point the camera at an object and talk about it....





Integrity is that special state of mind …. “because I said I would.’   That’s integrity.  The story of the young man and “keeping his word” is about integrity.




COMMENT:  Wes, Noel, Will and I are inviting you into our club.  It is a club that we “suffered” through when we were in our teens.  We were teenagers and we endured cold and wet, we spent hours walking in the rain and we did this for three years.   We became stronger.   Our little worlds were pushed to become bigger.   It meant that we had to read more, to listen more and absorb more information.  We did not have time for playing PONG and other video games.   We didn’t have Facebook, action games and mobile phones to distract us.

So it is your choice.   We hope you will accept the challenge of avoiding pleasure and building your mind.   Let your little world become bigger.




---------- 

The conclusion of today's journal entry is this:  

(1) I'm doing what I expect my students to do.   (a) record their thoughts and (b) comment about the thoughts.
(2) I'm reaching out to other people to ask them to help people like Davit (the guy in Armenia)  and Esraa   

No comments:

Post a Comment